Most laptops don't have a stereo input, only mono mic input, so they are
worthless for SDR. I haven't tested any pc card type sound cards that
are really good, but some can be acceptable for limited bandwidth if you
can accept the center spike in the display. I have had very good results
with my laptop and E-MU 0204 USB sound card.

The SDR Widget sound card should be good since it uses the AK5394A ADC,
but I completely disagree with their test results of the E-MU 0202. My
tests using the same software testing suite were MUCH better. Also, they
didn't test the E-MU 1212m, which uses the AK5394 and gives spectacular
results.

Even though a lot of emphasis is put on sound cards, I think most casual
users of SDRs would be surprised at the results that can be obtained
with basic sound cards... as long as they have stereo line level inputs.

For basic field use with the KX3, there is an SDR app for iPhone / iPad
/ iPod Touch called iSDR which might be worth looking at. For stereo mic
input, additional hardware is required, and of course a SoftRock or
LP-PAN is still required.

Larry N8LP