> Did you see this indicated anywhere in the information that was in
> the Federal Register?

Among other places it is in the ARRL's report dated 21 November 2011:
the requirement is to transmit “only on the five center frequencies
specified”.  In simple terms, that means the RF emission must be ON
the center frequency or equally spaced on either side not just
"somewhere in the channel".

Further, in the FCC's Report and Order:
http://transition.fcc.gov/Daily_Releases/Daily_Business/2011/db1118/FCC-11-171A1.pdf,

paragraph 33 reads:  "The NPRM proposed that, for amateur stations
transmitting CW emissions and PKS31 data emissions, the carrier
frequency [note: FCC refers to the RF frequency of a CW or PSK31
signal as the "carrier frequency" - they are not referring to the
"dial" or center of channel] shall be set to the center frequency."

In paragraph 36 (ibid), the Commission writes: "We ADOPT the center
frequency requirement as proposed in the NPRM.  Because the Amateur
Service operates in the 60 meter band on a secondary basis, we pay
particular attention to NTIA's position and the interests of Federal
agencies that have primary status in the band.  We conclude that
continuing to restrict amateur stations to TRANSMITTING ON THE
CENTER FREQUENCIES (emphasis added) will maintain the limited
number of amateur operators using the five channels at any given
time and provide certainty as to where such operators can be found."

The Report and Order goes on to give the exact language that will
be modified in Part 97 and I'm not going to duplicate all of it
here.  However, the Commission's own discussion of the matter is
quite unambiguous - they want only one user at a time on each channel
and they want all RF centered on the center of the channel - period.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV