Ed,

Using a large filter choke in a relatively low voltage supply is
difficult because of the voltage drop across the choke - and that
voltage drop will change with current draw changes - so instead of
improving the regulation, it will actually worsen.  The problem is in
the size wire used to wind the choke.  In other words, a 25 volt drop at
3000 volts is a drop in the bucket, but even a 10 volt drop at 50 volts
is likely to be too much.

73,
Don W3FPR