NQ7R and all,

Tom, that does sound like a very odd problem.  I Don't remember seeing it
discussed previously here.  However, your suggestion that Gary Surrency may
be lacking in interest to solve it doesn't sound like Gary at all!  He has
been around the Elecraft scene, almost from inception, and has always been
very responsive, and he is very good at identifying problem resolutions!  My
guess is that he may simply have run out of ideas without being able to get
"hands on".  Not every problem can be solved by email.  It also appears that
the two of you have exchanged several emails, and that doesn't sound like
someone who is not trying to be helpful.

I suppose if you have another K3 around, and could substitute one
synthesizer board for another that way, you could probably determine whether
or not Gary's suggestion is correct.  He's probably suggesting that to avoid
your having to send the rig to Elecraft for service, but that really may be
your best option due to the uncertainty.  Maybe you could just send them
your synthesizer board and they could test it somehow.  That might be even
easier, from a shipping standpoint.  However, maybe that's not a practical
approach for whatever reason.

Anyway, I know rig problems are depressing, and I sympathize with your
frustration.  There's a tendency to feel abused, since everyone else's rig
seems to be working fine, but yours isn't!  Unfortunately, bad things can
happen to good people!  However, I sincerely believe you are in better hands
with Elecraft than you would be with just about any other manufacturer.
When rig problems develop, and you can't fix them yourself, you have to
"bite the bullet" somewhat.  You just have to work with them to determine
the most expeditious way of resolving the problem.  By the way, if I had to
guess, I'd bet Gary is probably close to right in his suggestion, but since
he can't be positive, he obviously can't give you any guarantees.  Unless
some other option comes to mind, I'd probably just send the rig in and be
done with it.  Besides, there is usually the additional benefit of them
possibly identifying other anomalies, which they could then deal with
without necessitating another trip back and forth.  Kind of like getting a
20,000 mile service on your car!

Dave W7AQK