In a message dated 7/21/05 1:30:45 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> those of us who took our 13 wpm AND 20 wpm code tests in front of a
> grumpy FCC Inspector waiting for retirement instead of a collegial VE buddy
> can't stand to be in the same room with ANY of you guys!

Not true!

In the summer of 1968, at the age of 14, I passed the General and Advanced
written tests as well as 13 wpm receiving and sending.

In the summer of 1970, at the age of 16, I passed the Extra written test as
well as 20 wpm receiving and sending. I took the test at the first session
after the 2 year
waiting period for Extra had elapsed.

Both tests were at the FCC office at 2nd and Chestnut in Philadelphia, in
front of FCC examiner Joe Welch (locally known as Joe Squelch for his
no-nonsense demeanor). Sending tests were done with a straight key,
receiving with a legal pad and #2 pencil. For the 20 wpm code I was the
only person taking the test.

The fact that some hams didn't have to meet the requirements I did is
not their "fault". FCC makes the rules - blame FCC if there's a problem,
not those who met the new requirements rather than the old ones. I
don't like many of the rules changes of the past 20-25 years, but it's the
FCC that made them, not the newer hams.

btw, from those days to the present, I have always been able to pass
the current license exams. I take an online practice exam every few months
just to stay in shape, as it were. Nothing to it.

--

8 years ago I paid a lot of money for a 200 MHz 32 mb P1 Dell PC. Today you
can get a lot more computer from the same outfit for a lot less money. Should I

73 de Jim, N2EY