Note that "No Tune" means, simply, "Fixed Tuned", set for a 50 ohm
non-reactive load on each band. If we don't have an antenna reasonably flat
across the whole band we add an "Antenna Tuner" to the output which is
simply moving the tuning we used to do on the xmtr output to an outboard
box!

For example, when you add a KAT3 to the K3 it's all in one box, so we
operate just like we did decades ago, tuning our rigs for the band/frequency
in use. Only now the tuning is done automatically under digital control, so
we don't need to look at meters except to confirm the automated circuits did
their job correctly. It's the speed of the logic controlling the "tuner"
that makes modern rigs so fast on the QSY, not any lack of need to "tune"
them for a given load.

There is a hidden advantage to all of this. The output filters are far more
exotic than the simple Pi and Pi-L networks rigs used in the days when one
"dipped the finals and adjusted the loading". Those networks provide for
superior rejection of spurious products.

73,

Ron AC7AC