Quite a few years ago I was running the comm's on one of the British
Antarctic Survey bases (Adelaide Is).  My main TX used a Racal amp with
3 x 4-400 in parallel (if I remember correctly).  It used a Pi-L
network.  That network quite happily matched 20:1 SWR if necessary.  The
tuning was rather critical but in other respects all was normal as far
as the tubes were concerned. The coax (RG-8 type) from the TX to the
balun would run very warm in those circumstances and sag from the ceiling.

Not desirable I admit but necessary to broadcast safety critical WX
forecasts to remote sledging teams on a frequency in the 2MHz range that
the antenna was never designed for and seldom used.

Regards,

Mike VP8NO