Chris,

Why not try locating the KPA100/KAT100 at 6 cable feet from the base K2
and see what happens.  There is no real information available on that
subject that I am aware of.
There are cautions available - those cautions say that there *may* be
timing problems on the Auxbus signalling - if an option does not respond
in time, the K2 will conclude that option either is not present or is
not properly responding (Error 080).

The upgrade to the KPA100 is highly recommended.  However (and I am
going far out on a limb here), the upgrade helps to solve coupling
problems between the base K2 and the KPA100, and those conditions may
not be present with a remotely mounted KPA100.  If you detect any sign
of instability for the KPA100, please install the KPA100UPKT.

73,
Don W3FPR