On Jul 23, 2005, at 11:42 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Thanks, Don. Actually, I get NO action from ANY relay, although the LEDs are switching correctly. I tried to check the signal RYDATA (as best I could with no scope, only DMM) and it is an absolutely constant level. The front panel signal FPDATA jumps around in value as the signals come through to
activate the LEDs, but RYDATA is dead still.

It is not surprising that you are seeing the FP serial bus so active - it is periodically being refreshed. Relays are another matter. The RY serial bus is rarely (in processing terms) used. It is, in fact, used only when a relay state needs to be changed. If that doesn't happen, you won't see any toggles on the RYCK, RYLOAD or RYDATA lines.

There is 12 v on the the hot side of
the relays and 5 volts on pins 2 of U2, U3, and U4. With power removed,
RYDATA measures over 5 megs to ground.   Any other suggestions?

None of these measurements really say anything. What is the level of RYDATA, RYLOAD and RYCK at both the MCU and U2, U3 and U4?

Have the relays ever worked, or is this a new unit? You might want to check the solder joints at pins 15, 16 and 17 of the MCU, as well as those at pin 3 of U2, and 12 and 13 of U2, U3 and U4. Lastly, cycle through the K2 menu's C and L settings to check for any relay action. It is quite possible that the KAT100 is simply not commanding the relays to change - the question in that case is why not?

- Jack Brindle, W6FB