Gary-
Do you have the proper firmware level in the K3 itself? You need to be at
least as rev 4.42 for this to work.

>From fw release notes:
MCU 4.42 / DSP 2.73, 8-24-2011

* 2-METER FREQUENCY LOCKING TO REF CAL & EXT. REF:
The K144XV RFLK option locks the K3's 2-meter module to the rig's
master reference. Previously, users of this option had to enter offsets
in the CONFIG:XVn OFS menu entry based on how far off the
master reference was from 49380.000 kHz. These offsets can now
be calculated automatically based on the REF CAL menu entry.
If a K3EXREF module is also installed, then REF CAL itself
is automatically calibrated based on an external 10-MHz reference
(see K3EXREF on 2 m, below).

73,
Bruce, N1RX