The VEC CSCE has the places to circle for credit.  It says
" for pre 3/21/87 Technicians circle 3/21/87 Tech-EL 1+3"
" for pre 2/14/91 Technicians circle 2/14//91 Tech-El 1"
" for lifetime Novice code credit circle Novice-El 1"
" for a valid or expired-less-than-5-years FCC Radiotelegraph
license/permit circle FCC Telegraph-EL 1"
" for CSCEs issued within 365 days of the presentation date circle
CSCE-EL 3B, or CSCE-EL 4B, or CSCE-EL 4A+4B, or for any valid Morse
code credit CSCEs circle CSCE- EL 1

You need the expired license or other proof.  Prior to 3/21/87 Techs
took the same exam as General but at 5wpm code instead of 13wpm for
General.

I was licensed tech and novice WA4AYK and WN4AYK when I was a freshman
at Union College, 1960 , but I let it expire.   In 2003 I decided to
get another license,  with my brother, who had never held a license,
we decided, that we would study for an element a month.  When we got
to the first test session the VEC's informed me I could get General by
passing element 2.  When I passed that they informed me I could try
for Extra without additional cost so I tried it and I passed, even
though we had not studied for element 4. So I walked out an Extra when
I was expecting to be a Tech.  My brother passed an element a month
for his Extra after 4 months.  He is John AI4EL.

James AI4EL