Probably the most elegant solution is to actually change the physical
length of the element(s).  Mike, KK5F, does that with jumpers on his
portable dipole, and SteppIR does it by spooling up the un-wanted
portion of the element.  There was a design in QST that used air
pressure to operate relays that accomplished the same thing.  Maybe,
this could also be done with relays powered by the signal.

73,
Rick  K7MW