OK, I amend my post to say 130 foot doublet.

Kim - K7IM

-----Original Message-----
From: Ron D'Eau Claire [mailto:r...@cobi.biz]
Sent: Friday, March 09, 2012 8:09 PM
To: 'Ken G Kopp'; d...@w3fpr.com
Cc: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] OT: G5RV's antenna

The feeder was exactly 1/4 wavelength long so it transformed the very high
impedance at the end of the radiator to a very low impedance at the rig in the
Zeppelin, minimizing "RF in the Shack" issues.

Since the radiator was 1/2 wavelength long, very little current flowed from the
feeder into the radiator. It was a voltage "loop". That meant that, although
the other side of the feeder was terminated in an insulator, the currents along
the feed line were well balanced. Most radiomen of the time considered that the
leakage current into the insulator closely matched the current into the
radiator so the balance was very good indeed.

The next step, coming back to Don's comment, was to connect two Zepps back to
back for some additional gain. Extending the radiators beyond 1/2 wavelength
enhanced this effect and, since it was now a center fed antenna, feedline
imbalance was no longer a danger, hence the popularity of the "extended double
Zepp".

I am always careful to call my center fed wires a "doublet" to avoid confusion
but many Hams today incorrectly call any wire fed at the center with open wire
line a "Zepp".

Feeding a traditional Zepp only minimizes feed line radiation when the radiator
is exactly 1/2 wavelength. (The feeder can be any length if you can deal with
the feed point impedance at the rig end.) However, many Hams have reported
excellent results with Zepps with not-1/2-wave long radiators. In those cases
the feed line is also part of the radiating antenna. That can be good when the
feeder is in the clear and less so if it's not. The same is true of most off
center fed antennas.

73,

Ron AC7AC