Bartek,

Is it possible that you are using a standard station that transmits only
a carrier rather than an AM signal with tones like WWV is doing.  You
MUST be in SSB mode when using that method to set C22.  The fact that
you are off by 500 Hz suggests to me that you may be trying to use CW
mode and that your sidetone pitch is set to 500 Hz.

If you must use a station that transmits only a carrier, tuning the
station properly is a little more difficult, but can be done.  If that
is your problem please let me know, and I can give you a work-around.

73,
Don W3FPR