On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 9:56 AM, David Stratton <dstratt...@triad.rr.com> wrote:
>...Will the KX3 be nearly as effective
>
> using data modes as it will be using CW?...
============
Dave, for miles-per-watt the king of the hill is JT-65HF. (However,
it's not a whole lot of fun IMHO) Theoretically one can communicate
with a signal path about 6 db weaker than needed for CW.

PSK and CW are about on a par theoretically. For SSB the signal path
has to be about 9 db better than for CW or PSK. Of course, the above
applies to any radio, KX3 or otherwise, QRP or QRO.

Many hams have great fun using SSB with low-power radios. I guess I
come from the other universe. Of the thousands of QRP contacts I've
made, only one was on SSB. It was with Martti, OH2BH, who patiently
spent about 3 minutes digging to get my call, one letter at a time.
After that one I went back to CW.

Tony KT0NY

--
http://www.isb.edu/faculty/facultydir.aspx?ddlFaculty=352