On 3/21/2012 2:03 PM, Andrew Siegel wrote:

> It
> would be interesting if we had the option in modern rigs to "dirty up"
> our transmitted CW note.

Perhaps we could call it, "personalize our transmitted CW note?"  Sounds
better than "dirty up."  And, this is NOT a request for a K3 firmware
change to allow personalization of CW notes!

Rotary spark operators sometimes had a foot pedal similar to a sewing
machine pedal with which they could "personalize" the note [such as a
"note" was with a rotary spark gap TX] by speeding it up and slowing it
down while sending.

What truly intrigues me is how they built receivers pre-De Forest.
Spark gap TX is easy, before LORAN-C met it's death, several of the
stations had reverted to the 21st Century equivalent of spark.  I really
do not understand what the Titanic's receiver looked like.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2012 Cal QSO Party 6-7 Oct 2012
- www.cqp.org