On 4/3/2012 8:24 AM, Keith Heimbold wrote:
> If i had to make a recommendation, my choice would be the KX3.  I do think
> you should do as much due diligence before purchasing and check out as many
> different rigs as possible.

As an old timer, 55 years licensed, and more active now than I've ever
been, I STRONGLY agree with others who have recommended a high quality
pre-owned, vintage rig that runs 100W on the HF bands and includes an
antenna tuner.  Most that fall into this category are designed to run on
12VDC, so they will work fine in your car.  I've worked a lot of mobile,
both CW and SSB, using four different rigs at various times. I simply
put them on the passenger seat, tilted in such a way that I can read the
tuning dial and access the knobs.  No, this arrangement doesn't work
when you have a passenger, but hams who intend to keep their spouses
don't work mobile when their spouse is in the car!

Two fine vintage100W rigs I've owned and loved are the Kenwood TS850 and
Icom 746.  Either of them could be purchased used in the $700-$900
range. The 746 is also a decent 6M and 2M radio. The TS950, mentioned by
others, is also a fine rig.

> Make sure for your base to put up the best antenna possible. I am a new ham
> (15 months) and started with a vertical then quickly moved to a hex beam and
> am now about to install a SteppIR three element this June.  The antenna is
> 80-90% of the hobby.

I also strongly agree with this advice.  BUT -- before I did ANYTHING
with antennas,you should buy  the ARRL Handbook and carefully study the
chapters on antennas.  Very good antennas for the HF bands can be built
very inexpensively with wire and insulators, thrown into a tree, or
suspended between trees, buildings, even low cost TV mast if it's guyed
properly.  For some ideas on how to build low cost antennas for limited
space, see http://audiosystemsgroup.com/publish.htm

The KX3 would be an excellent choice for a mobile rig, but you will want
the 100W amp and the 100W antenna tuner. Neither are yet available, and
they will certainly add to the cost.  I'd let that be my second rig,
selling the vintage rig to buy it if necessary.  QRP is fun with decent
antennas, but less so with poor ones, and because they are shorter than
full size antennas for the lower HF bands. You'll also do much better
running QRP on CW or digital modes than on SSB.

73, Jim K9YC