From: Jim Brown <j...@audiosystemsgroup.com>
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Sent: Wed, April 18, 2012 12:31:59 AM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Loudspeakers for the K3

On 4/17/2012 12:00 AM, OE5CSP-Chris wrote:
> Is there a recommendation from Elecraft or any wise audiophile?

As an audio pro, I have a few observations. The speaker amp in the K3 is
a fairly small one, so outboard speakers should be either fairly
efficient or should be amplified.  Most home stereo speakers have fairly
LOW efficiency, but most speakers for use in public address systems, and
most speakers designed for communications use have fairly HIGH efficiency.

For most serious operation I use headphones, but for casual operation I
use outboard speakers.  On the radio I use the most, they are a pair of
very efficient, very good pro speakers that have long been
discontinued.  On the other radio I have a couple of miniature cube
speakers designed for communications use.  They all work fine.

Voltage sensitivity is expressed as dBSPL for one watt at one meter, or
for 2.828 volts.  The most efficient small speakers you're likely to
find will have this spec in the high 80s. SPL is Sound Pressure Level
with respect a standard acoustic reference level.   In the near field,
sound decays at 6dB per doubling of distance, so at 1/4 meter, it will
be 12dB louder than that number with a one watt sine wave, about 10 dB
less with speech.

73, Jim Brown K9YC.