Dave,

I can highly recommend Chipquik - for multilegged devices.  For devices
with only 2 leads, I believe it is overkill (but it will work).  My
objections with Quickchip is that one *must* clean up the site before
applying new solder - or the new solder will not stick..  The cleanup
task is not to be minimized, but is necessary,

Chipquik is not inexpensive, but samples are available.  Give it a try
for devices having more than 2 solder connections - but for 2 legged
devices, I stand by my conclusion that the cleanup is more work than the
effort required using other means.  YMMV.

73,
Don W3FPR