Gerald, Ron and all,

CAUTION:  That document's rig setup is incorrect for Elecraft gear.

Following the transmitter setup described in that (and many others on
data modes) will not allow the K2, K3 or KX3 to function properly. and
may (in fact) may create a distorted signal - it is a sure way to create
power creep on your digital signal.

You must first set the audio drive power  For the K3 (or KX3) set to
DATA A submode and either turn the power down or turn in TX TEST.  Now
adjust the audio until you see 4 bars solid on the ALC meter - the 5th
bar could be flickering slightly (this is NO ALC for the K3 and KX3 -ALC
starts at the 5th bar)
For the K2, adjust the audio until you see an ALC indication, and then
turn it back a bit.

That is it - adjust the *desired* power level with the power knob and
operate.

Setting the power level to max and using the audio drive to bring the
power up to the desired level will work with transceivers that do not
use a feedback control loop to set the power level - the K2, K3 and KX3
*do* use a feedback loop, most other transceivers just adjust the drive
and take whatever comes out of the PA stage.

73,
Don W3FPR