Bernie, I'm no expert but I've been a QRP HF CW addict for 52 years and
one solution I've found that works quite well with all my Elecraft rigs
(KX1, K2, K2, and K3) is a simple halfwave vertical with *no* radials or
any other ground return except for the coax shield.  It's not "perfect"
but I've worked a freakin' pile of DX with it and its performance is
reliable and repeatable.  I'm not looking to start any long threads or
get into arguments with hams whose technical education and abilities far
exceed mine.  I'm just offering a solution that works for me and which
might work for you.  Let's see...what's that term....Your Mileage May

See my "not perfect, but pretty darn good solution at"  :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWkpQ785Pjo

73, Stan WB2LQF
KX1 #2411    K1#2994    K2# 6980    K3#5244     K9 #1 (Cocoa the
Chihuahua)
Everything is QRP, even the dog.