At 03:16 PM 5/11/2012 +0000, va3...@gmail.com wrote:
>I for one am in a quandary on what to get at dayton
>
>A buddipole, alex loop, or g4tph. Being a road warrior, need a good
>working interior (most times hotel rooms are not accessible to the
>outside) portable.
>
>And a partridge in a pear tree as well :-)
>Robert
>
>a 'kosher' ham
>Sent from my BlackBerry device

Without doubt the best kind of antenna given the environment you describe
is a small tuned loop.  How well it works will depend on how well it is
built (literally).  The quality of the loop material and the tuning
capacitor will determine the overall efficiency (and effectiveness) of the
antenna.  The buddipole in either the vertical or dipole arrangement will
only come into its own when outside and away (to some degree) from
interfering structures.  I have had success with a tuned small loop indoors
but not so with center fed or end fed dipoles.  However they (longer
dipoles) work well even a few feet outside the building ... eg. I used a
bent up wire dipole made of invisible fishing wire suspended a couple of
feed away from a balcony with thin bamboo poles ... it worked vy well on cw
and PSK.

73 Jim, VE3CI