The fishing pole gambit is a favorite for vacationers who want to do some
stealth operating from their seaside rentals. They take a surf fishing pole
- some are 20 feet long when assembled - and do like many surf fishermen
when not on the surf. They prop them up assembled on their balcony rather
than break them down. Makes a convenient vertical antenna support that looks
nothing like an antenna :-)

I'm assuming you had the Captain's permission to operate from the ship. My
experience is on tankers, container ships, bulk carriers, etc., but from
what I understand it is generally not hard to get permission to operate on
many cruise ships, however; the Captain's permission is mandatory.

Here's why. Modern shipboard communications gear uses frequencies throughout
the HF spectrum from 2 to 30 MHz close to the HF Ham bands. Sure, routinely
they use satellite comms, but also use HF because it is cheaper (ships pay
air-time for satellites). They use TOR (teleprinting over radio) as well as
SSB voice on the various HF frequencies. Like us Hams, they shift around the
HF spectrum as needed to communicate with the desired stations based on the
current HF propagation, time of day, etc. The shipboard HF equipment is also
part of the key Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS) system used for emergency
communications whenever they are too far from shore for VHF. And since that
shipboard gear is designed to be used at sea far from other transmitters, it
does not necessarily have the sort of "bulletproof" front end like the
Elecraft rigs to protect it from overload from a nearby HF transmitter.

Consequently, any HF transmitter someone operates on board without the
Captain's knowledge violates a whole bucket-full of international treaties,
regulations and maritime laws.

Of course, cell phones, smart phones, etc., are expected, but an HF
transmitter is something quite different.

I'd not be surprised to see someone operating an HF rig without permission
have their equipment confiscated until returning to port and possibly find
themselves banned from future passages on the ships of that line.

73, Ron AC7AC