This past Field Day, we used some NVIS dipoles atop a hill in Austin TX.
There was a sharp drop to the east and to the West.

We not only worked obvious NVIS range signals; but worked a number of skip
signals from antennas no more than 7 feet high at the highest.  The 40m
antenna was only 3 1/2 feet high.

We think the drop off enhanced the ability of these low antennas.  Signals
on 75m to the NW coast were 5,6 to 5,7 consistently, but contacts were
relatively easy to make.  If you heard a station, he could hear you.

Stuart
K5KVH