Guess I don't understand what all the fuss is about. In "standard" mode,
there are two cursors on my P3 - one green and one sort of purplish (I have
a partial color blindness, but there is a distinct difference between the
two cursors, even for me).

Even if you're not operating in SPLIT mode, when you tune the VFO B (the
purplish marker) away from the frequency of VFO A, it stands out quite
prominently on the P3 display.

I operate mostly CW. When a split operation takes place, and I tune
somewhere "into the piluep" I might typically have reduced the SPAN to 20
kHz so there's 10 kHz on each side of the DX operating frequency. As I tune
the VFO B (most often it's actually the sub-receiver so I can also hear
what's going on in the pileup), you can see an obvious "gap" between the
two cursors.

Personally, I enjoy cruising through the pileup, trying to find who the DX
is currently working, trying to quickly discern a "pattern" (if any) of the
DX operator. When someone in a cluster spot writes that he worked 'em, it
is most often something like "QSX 14027.5" as opposed to "up 1.375."

With the sub-receiver engaged, split engaged and the difference in color
between the two cursors, I guess I fail to understand whey there would be a
huge need for anything else - at least anything else relating to the P3/K3
functionality that already exists.

I think any reasonable operator would only accidentally operate on the DX
frequency once or twice before it became a habit to engage SPLIT and then
"split" your xmit frequency. If a given op consistently makes the same
mistake of NOT operating split, a bunch of ugly descriptives come to mind!

Art - N4PJ

On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 9:18 PM, k7hbg @dslextreme.com <k7...@dslextreme.com