On 5/19/2012 8:08 PM, wb4...@knology.net wrote:
 > Joe, I'm not sure some of your suppositions are correct.

Actually it depends on one's assumption of the number and strength
of the signals applied to the front end.  120 dB of spurious free
dynamic range is trivial if one is measuring it with *two tones*.

However, when one has five or six -33 dBm "local signals" (easy
on 160 or 80 meters during a major contest ... or 40 meters in
Europe with the superpower broadcasters just outside the band)
the required signal handling is many orders of magnitude higher
than just two -23 dBm (S9+60 dB) signals.  Instantaneous peak
voltages do not add linearly ... they add exponentially.

Even with decimation the peak voltage to the ADC can not be allowed
to cause an overflow.  In addition, one must be concerned about Herr
Nyquist ... and minimum sample rates for the highest operating
frequency.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV