Hi Ron, I have played and fooled around with verticals for many years and as
my friend K3RA, Rol Anders says... "A vertical radiates poorly in all
directions!!" LOL! At present I do have a vertical dipole... Gap Challenger
Vertical and it does perform acceptably! But, I also have a dipole up about
35 feet up.

I think it was the HyGain 14AVQ or the 18AVQ up on the house roof with
radials/guide wires for all bands and had it all grounded to a 1/2 pipe that
ran down along outside  of the water well for 200 feet. Now maybe that setup
was not suppose to work but it worked like gang busters. At sundown when the
bands started going out the beams lost it but I stayed right in there with
the DX! That was many years ago when I lived in Tenn. at the Sequachie
Valley. Our Parsonage was up on a hill and I was in the clear. That was in
the mid 60s. I have tried some unique grounding devices through the years
and they worked out pretty good.

Mercy, I even tried the old Gotham vertical from Miami Beach... The 23 foot
vertical I was using a Gonset G66B Receiver and a Elmac AF 67 Transmitter in
Cedartown, Georgia. I was not sure I was getting RF to the vertical so I put
the transmitter in Key Down and went outside and touched the vertical with
the palm of my hand.... It took weeks for the burn to heal on my hand. I was
a novice then and knew very little. My radio teacher who was preparing me
for the General class license took pity on me and built me a 75/40 dipole
with one coax. I had the 40 running east and west and the 75 running north
and south. Come to think of it It must have been a NVIS antenna!! <g>

I had a Gap Eagle Vertical back in 1993 and it performed well with the
ground plane it uses. Had it up a few feet above the roof.

I have some information I want to share about NVIS antennas but will leave
that for another email.
Paul
Paul Gates
K1  #0231