When working contests using NB, you should have the IF setting of NB set to
OFF.  Only use the DSP NB settings.  Unless of course you are bothered by
some impulse that only one of the IF settings cures.  Alas, then you will
have to endure the extra junk that IF NB *must* create from strong close in
signals.

The K3's IF NB is a traditional analog technique that was in radios when I
was a teenager in the 50's.  Elecraft kept it because it's still the best
for some noise.  IF NB is improved in the K3, tunable for width and depth.
 The old National was on or off, and we were happy to have it.  But either
still is a sharp modulation of the IF waveform with a short square-wave
waveform, and as such must create mixing products, which you hear.

For contests, leave the IF NB off unless you specifically need it.

73, Guy.