Hi Stan,

The K2 has an optional internal 100-W amplifier and is of course a
full kit. But if 12 W is enough power for your planned usage, and you
wouldn't be building the K2 anyway, I'd suggest going with the KX3.

The KX3 has several advantages: 160-6 meter/all-mode coverage, much
more comprehensive display, data-mode and CW text decode built-in,
advanced DSP and SDR features, and a high-performance attached keyer
paddle. And of course you could put several of them inside a K2 :)

I think of the KX3 as the ultimate portable rig, but of course I'm
biased. I'm sure you'll get a few other opinions.

73,
Wayne
N6KR