Linear loading versus loading coils, top hats, etc. is a very complex subject
that cannot be summed well in an email.  Affordable programs that run on home
computers, such as EZNEC are great tools and I use them.  Professional programs
that run on bigger computers are no doubt better, but I do not have access to
them.  But, the proof is in the pudding and to really know how well something
works requires building the antenna and erecting it in the position it is to be
used with the trees, buildings, soil type, etc. that will be present.  Wire
size is important, as is Q and the problem is very different for QRP versus
medium power versus full QRO, particularly when wound coils are considered.
The computer programs are great for deciding which antenna you want to try
first.  Trying an infinite number of variations might be better, but that would
require infinite money and time.  Some designs, such as the SteppIR are better
with linear loading
 because of mechanical considerations.  As previously mentioned, the design of
antennas for commercial or emergency use certainly considers different things
than getting the last dB for busting a pileup.  The mountain topper that plans
to take his station to the top of a peak certainly has different antenna
criteria than the avid contester who is building his antenna farm.

I have been playing with antennas for 56 years now and I am a long way from
knowing all there is to know, even way short of knowing all I want to know!  I
don't think I will live long enough to get there, Marconi certainly didn't.
Isn't ham radio great?  There is so much to do and learn that you never run out
of something interesting.

Willis 'Cookie' Cooke
K5EWJ & Trustee N5BPS, USS Cavalla, USS Stewart