Don,

I wasn't able to reproduce the intermittent small voltage drop in encoder
pins 3 and 4 today, when they are disconnected from the board. Not sure why.
I reconnected them and they both show nearly identical resting voltages
(4.4-4.6V) and both vary in unison by a very small voltage (~0.05V) as I
turn the encoder. So, I guess the encoder is toast along with U3.

Unfortunately, the encoder is about 92 bux! BTW, I'm in Costa Rica, not
VK-Land, but the shipping is lengthy in either case. I have to have parts
shipped via a 3rd party because Elecraft's label on the outside will get
them caught in Customs, which for me is a 6 hour RT drive and 2 hours
standing in line! I'd rather wait the extra month it takes to get them here
to avoid that (I don't mind paying duty, but that trip is really beyond the
pale).

73,

Casey

-----