I'm not a "key connoisseur". Pounding brass here and there as part of my
work and at home as a Ham, I learned to send with whatever came to hand
(literally:-). The appeal of a J-38 is strictly nostalgic and, for me, it
works as well as any other straight key that I've touched. I use it for any
QSO's under 15 wpm.

J-38 type keys were designed to be screwed to the table. Like Phil, I did a
lot of novice brass pounding two-handed before I discovered a simple trick:
mount the key on a thin base that extends out under the knob. My original
J-38 was on a base of about 1/4" steel threaded for mounting screws that I
made up in High School machine shop. My current J-38 uses a piece of 1/8"
oak. Flat head screws run up from the bottom with cap nuts on the top to
secure the key to the base. A pad made up of the plastic webbing sold to
keep things from sliding is stuck to the bottom to keep the key from sliding
on the desk.

I did the same for my Speed-X bug, that is fairly light (compared to
Vibroplex bugs) and which wanted to skate when I rolled my fist too hard
against the paddles. It now sits securely wherever I set it down.

73, Ron AC7AC