When I'm not using my J-38 or Speed-X bug, I use a pair of original Scotia
paddles that I picked up at a Club meeting auction years ago.

They use magnets, not springs so the feel is reversed compared to a spring
loaded paddle. The magnet pulls the strongest when the key is at rest, and
that resistance decreases rapidly (according to the square of the distance)
as the paddle is moved toward contact closure. That is, of course, just the
opposite of a spring whose resistance typically increases as it is
compressed.

The action of the Scotia paddles is very, very nice, better, I think, than
my original "Ham Key" spring loaded paddles that I built into my first
homebrew Accukeyer in the early 1970's.

Each magnet on the Scotia paddles is adjustable so one can set the amount of
"resistance" just like changing the spring tension.

73, Ron AC7AC