Fellow K3 guys:
N6L, our 2AORG solar powered Field Day station was specifically configured
to demonstrate off-the-grid emergency opperations and thus provided an
excellent opportunity to put one of my two K3 (sn 3271 and 2215) to work
under less than the comforts of home.
Disquietingly, the K3 wasn't up to the task!
Let me explain: both the K3 and our second radio, a TenTec Eagle (Model
599AT sn 3051271430) were fed from the same 120 watt Power Film Panel /110
AmpHr GSM battery combination and operated at 100W output.  In tandom
operation, the Eagle was not affected by momentary voltage dips (below 10
VDC) whereas the K3 would shut down.
With both radios in SSB mode and following the first K3 shut down, the K3s
operating environment was changed: different bands, different antennas,
reduced power output (to 10 watts) different operators and, finally
different solar /GSM battery combinations.
None remedied the problem.
Following from our experience, while the K3 and the Eagle offer excellent
operating characteristics, beware of the K3 under extenuating
circumstances; it's liable to let you down even at low output power levels.
The only potential solution may be found in a voltage boost device such as
the "N8XJK boost regulators"
http://stores.tgelectronics.org/Categories.bok?category=Boosters
Unfortunately, following the research necessary to uncover a source of
these devices Field Day was over.
Next year for sure!
73
John Kountz, WO1S/T6EE