I also had a situation where I was getting a string of dahs in the middle
of  transmission. At first I thought it may have been a sticky KXPD3 set
too tight, but then the same thing happened using an external Begali
paddle. The adhoc antenna feedline situation I was using was, let's just
say, not ideal, and I was running a full 10W when the problem happened, so
I then suspected RF was getting back into the radio. I replaced that
jury-rigged antenna setup with some proper feedline and a balun, and have
not had any problem since.

73, Matt VK2ACL