On 07/07/2012 09:56 AM, Brian Alsop wrote:
> I found these two additional steps are necessary before the Utility program
> will successfully operate:
>
> (Run in a terminal)
>
>        sudo chmod 666 /dev/ttyUSB0
>
>        sudo apt-get install curl

Rather than changing the device permissions (which you have to do every
time you boot or unplug/plug the usb serial device),
you should add yourself to the dialout group:

sudo usermod -G dialout <your_username>

where <your_username> should be replaced with your username on the
system. The above will execute as root, so you need to have sudo
permissions. There is probably some GUI based tool for this but command
line is simpler ;-) After doing this, you will need to logout and login
again. You can verify that you have the correct group privs with the id
command, for example, for me it says:

uid=500(eloranta) gid=500(eloranta)
groups=500(eloranta),18(dialout),39(video),489(pulse-access),490(pulse),493(jackuser)

where 18(dialout) is the important part.

As for curl, I think the utility program should check for its existence
during startup and appropriately tell the user to install it before
proceeding.

Jussi Eloranta (AA6KJ)