Nothing cryptic about it.

"sudo" allows users temporary "admin" or root user privi's to the system
to run commands or install software. When any user invokes sudo they
will be required to authenticate with user name and password.

"chmod" is a *nix<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UNIX_shell> command that
lets a user tell the system how much (or little) access it should permit
to a file or program.^<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chmod#cite_note-0>
It changes the file system modes of files and directories. The modes
include permissions.

The 666 is octal notation for granting users, groups, and "others" read,
write, and execute permissions to the USB filesystem.

"install apt-get" is a command used in all Debian based Linux distro's
to install software *and all known dependencies*. The program
automatically downloads and installs software from the Debian/Ubuntu
repositories along with dependencies and installs it.

In this case it installed the program cURL.

--
R. Kevin Stover
AC0H