I believe that John von Neumann or one of the other pioneers of computing
thought at one
time that the possibility of self-modifying programs was a huge advance made
possible by
stored-program computers. The program itself could be data!

But then someone proved that anything you could do by modifying the program
could be done
in other ways and people decided that there were lots of downsides to
changeable code.

--
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA