Like your note, Don, this will be my one and only.  I've used unix variants
since 1981 through the present at school & work (air traffic control transponder
design, radar system design, RF propagation modeling, etc.), and as a result use
linux at home.  So I'm biased to begin with but want to offer a few words in
defense of linux while at the same time agreeing with much of what you said.

Windows developed in a hobby environment and from the start was geared toward
the guy at home.  Unix started as a trimmed down - compared to Multics, where it
derives its name - multiuser professional environment.  The OSes are coming from
two different places, and when they end up on the desktop new users have very
different first experiences!  Windows wants to be friendly, Unix in general has
no such ambition.

About man pages, they are great memory refreshers when you already know more or
less what to do but aren't a way to learn unix.  Similarly, you wouldn't learn
EE from data sheets.  Linux, by the way, is only the kernel.  The programs are
mostly open source, so everything is fully distributed.  (Meaning we're stuck
with whatever names developers choose.)  There is no central voice or power to
direct or pull things together.  Groups like The Linux Documentation Project
(tdlp.org) try to tackle docs, others tackle other things.  You get pockets of
helpful admins, groups who look down their noses at "mere novices," freshly
minted enthusiasts who think they know more than they do, and so on, but no
official Voice of Unix.

I don't think linux will ever be mainstream because it's not "in business."
However, it's powerful, based on simple design concepts, and for better or worse
is more organic and free flowing in its evolution than MS or Apple Oses.  MacOS,
incidentally, is layered on top of FreeBSD, and shows what can be done with
commercial focus.

73,
Mike ab3ap