As one who has been exploring caves for the last 40+ years, my
principle interest in the 630M band is its ability to
communicate thru solid rock. There is a long history of cave
radios operating on medium frequencies under part 15, most of
which use antennas consisting of a coil of wire. (One of the
rules of thumb for cave radios is that the antenna and the
battery should weigh about the same.)

Cave radios used for communication are quite different from
those used to locate the surface point directly over an
under-ground point, and estimate its depth.

If you are interested in cave radios, most of the work in the US
has been documented in Speleonics, published by the
Communication and Electronics Section of the National
Speleological Society. All issues are available for free
download from
<http://www.caves.org/section/commelect/drupal/speleonics>. The
most recent issue has an index of all issues and is available
from <http://www.caves.org/section/commelect/splncs/splncs28.pdf>.

There is also an active British group, the Cave Radio and
Electronics Group <http://bcra.org.uk/creg/>. They accept Paypal
for their publications.

Cheers - Bill, AE6JV