My club, the West Valley Amateur Radio Association (WVARA) is
where I learned about Elecraft. I had heard nothing but praise
for the K2 and K3 at mettings and when I was put in charge of
the GOTA tent a couple of field days ago they said, "We've got a
K2 for you.", so I downloaded the manual with my usual fear of
having to learn another obscure, idiosyncratic, radio UI. Boy
was I wrong in this case. The controls were obvious. There
weren't any "features" that get turned on by "magic" and can't
be turned off. There weren't any modes that were "impossible" to
get out of. In short, I was sold.

Then the question came to: K2 -- which is a real kit and would
let me feel that I had built the radio I was using, or K3 --
better performance and more directly usable in the digital modes
where I spend most of my time. I dithered back and fourth on
that question for months, until my wife (KI6SLX) and I went to
Radiofest. She is a retired from an Apple QA position, and has
definite ideas about how UIs should work. She spent a long time
talking with one of the people at the Elecraft booth about the
K3, and came away saying, "I think I could learn this radio."
With a spousal OK, I immediately ordered a K3 and have been
happy with it ever since.

BTW - This year WVARA had an all Elecraft field day.

Cheers - Bill, AE6JV