On Jul 15, 2012, at 3:23 PM, Phil Hystad wrote:

> I think I like that too but I am not sure if that world of simplicity can
> continue very much longer.  In fact, in some ways, it is already history.

Well, it's not the complexity of the circuits I am mainly referring to, but
also the complexity due to the number of features available. If I need to read
a manual and keep it handy to use a radio, I lose interest. I love my K1
because there aren't too many menus, and just enough features to make it
performant without being overwhelming. There seems to be a features race going
on among manufacturers. Elecraft did great with the K1 and K2, because they
designed  better radios, not average ones with more gizmos. The K3 has the
performance, and the bells and whistles. Not everyone likes extra bells and
whistles… That's why I wish the K2 and K1 don't go away. All I need is a volume
button, tune, and band switch. Some of the kits I've built don't even have as
much. You can build a very complex automated machine to drive a nail in a
plank, but at the end of the day, all it takes is still a simple hammer. If you
enjoy hammering, so much the better, and the hammer will do fine.. Operating a
nailing machine, that's a different hobby.. That's why I embrace the QRP
concept, which I see as a return to the essence and practicality of radio.

I think Elecraft has two kinds of customers: The QRP/portable/kit crowd, and
the contest/performance/features crowd. Both crowds like the quality and are
willing to spend extra for it, myself included. The former wants simple, less
features, the later wants more. I hope the company will not transform itself
into something like Yaesu and forget the type of customers they started with. I
am not implying they have, just concerned..

My hat is off to Elecraft for building a great product in the United States.
One more reason to buy from them.

Gil.
--
http://radiopreppers.com