wayne burdick wrote

> Steve,
>
> Another KXPD3 user recently pointed out something I hadn't considered.
> Some other keyer manufacturers who use cup-point set screws as
> contacts flatten (or round off) the screw ends using a fine file. This
> broadens the contact area, which can otherwise be very sharp with a
> cut point. I'm looking into whether we should be doing this in
> production.
>
> Please let me know if you try this on your KXPD3.
>
> 73,
> Wayne
> N6KR

Wayne,

I took your suggestion. I put a bit of a tweak to it, however. I noticed the
set screws have a divot in them on the end that makes the contact. I took
this back to flat across the whole set screw on a bench grinder (fine
stone). Then I "rounded" them a bit on the same grinder/stone. After that I
took my knife sharpening stones to the screws. I started at 120 grit and
worked all the way through 6000 grit polish tape. The screws have a rounded
near-mirror finish now.

I don't have much key time with it just yet, but in the little I have used
it just now it does quite noticeably improve the action. I spent a little
more time tweaking the contact pressure/gap too. I had to play with it a
little but I think its just about right.

I will post back after a while and fill you in as to my experiences.

Steve, KC8QVO