I am loading up for a 10 mile backpacking trip this weekend and was going
through some weights this evening, along with cleaning my Simmerlite stove
and digging up some of my other gear.

When I have gone on trips in the past I have taken my FT-857D. My favorite
antenna is a Jumper dipole (sectional - has spade connectors between each
consecutively lower frequency band segment 6 to 40 meters) and that is what
I will continue to use, though I may try some other ideas as time goes on.

My set up before was right about 15lbs. This included the FT-857D, battery,
mic, key, antenna, and support rope.

My total station weight for the KX3 is just 3.7lbs! This includes the
following:
Jumper dipole and 50' of 550 chord = 11.4oz
KX3 with KXPD3 = 28.4oz
Power wire = 1.1oz
Mic/cable = 5.4oz
Headphones = .4oz
8AA batteries = 7.8oz
6w solar panel = 5.3oz
Total oz is 59.8, or 3.7375lbs.

That is pretty cool.

One caveat is the internal charger is not installed in the rig yet, so it
will go up a tad in weight when I get that. I am also thinking of using my
AA's externally with 2x 4 battery cases. This way I can charge them easier
off the solar panel.

What I am probably going to do for this weekend is still use my 7Ah SLA -
that comes in at 85.8oz, or 5.36lbs. It is a big weight gain, but when I am
in camp at night and the sun isn't out I can run all I want and not drain
it.

I am sure weights will fluctuate a bit, but given the weight of the rig and
the low current consumption its amazing what all can go along and at minimal
weight. Some die-hard backpackers would still say this is too much weight,
but I am also a die-hard Ham so I'll take my 10lb weight loss and still be
4lbs or so over what I could be for the enjoyment of Ham radio on the trail.

Steve, KC8QVO