On Wed, 25 Jul 2012, Steve KC8QVO wrote:

> KX3 with KXPD3 = 28.4oz
> 6w solar panel = 5.3oz

      I have some similar hikes coming up this fall, and I'm starting to
think about what I want to bring along for hf.  I usually backpack the K1
with internal batteries and tuner.  If I want to go smaller/lighter, I
take a ruggedized 40m SST instead.  This year, a KX3 may be a possibility!
FWIW, I've never run the K1's internal batteries dry on a camping trip,
even with a few nights of radio.  'Course I'm usually with other folks, so
introvert time with the radio is limited to about three hours a day.

      What solar panel are you using?  I wouldn't expect to get too many
hours of good light [here in the Pacific Northwest], since we'd be hiking
during the best sun, and I tend to avoid direct sunlight whenever I can.
It would make sense, however, if we spent a day at camp before turning
back around.  I've certainly run a great many portable contests on solar!
      I have a flexable panel that I could tie to the back of my pack if I
thought it would get enough light while hiking to make a difference.
Powering the internal KX3 charger from a panel while hiking could be a
worthwhile experiment.

      I can't believe you lugged an 857 on a hike! Before the KX3, if you
really wanted 5-10 watts of SSB on a hike, it was hard to go wrong with
one of MFJ's adventure radios!  'Course, I try to limit my average pack
weight to 30lbs :).

        - kb7psg