Hey Kevin, all kidding and smart-alecky comments aside - the KX3 is the
rig that *will* last you until that eight year old has his college
degree!  True, nothing is "perfect" but some products (and companies!)
approach that level and Elecraft and its KX3 are not likely to
disappoint you between now and when your kid graduates.  Consider that
every time you download a KX3 software update you essentially have a
'new radio."  Elecraft products sell themselves based upon technical
innovation,  performance, and customer service.  Yes, this "family" that
inhabits this Reflector may, at times, seem overly cohesive and fanatic.
But stop and think...what made them so darn happy?????

73 and good luck in your search for the 'right' rig for you,

Stan WB2LQF