From: Lee Herbst <lcher...@gmail.com>
To: Elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: [Elecraft] K2 vs K3
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2012 12:41:09 -0400

My situation is this, single income family with 4 kids. I have to save
for anything I want. I just got my ticket in June. I am currently not
on the air, but saving for a 2m mobile to get me started.

Realistically I can only save for one HF xcvr. I chose Elecraft based
on lurking on this reflector and learning about their excellent
support - I don't think I can go wrong buying from these guys.
However, I don't know if I should save for a K2 or a K3. I think it
will take me about a year to save for the base K2 kit or about 2 years
to save for the base K3 kit. I need to make sure that whichever I get,
it will be something I am happy with for a long time as I would not be
able to afford to replace it.

I would like to operate cw and ssb, but cw only would be fine until I
could afford the ssb option if I went for the K2. I am intrigued by
building a K2 (I am handy with a soldering iron), but on the other
side of the coin it seems like you get a lot more radio with the K3.
So, if you were in my shoes, which would you save for? On the air
sooner with a K2 or waiting longer for a K3? All input is most
welcome.

Lee Herbst - AK4WN

"Give God your best and let Him do the rest" - Facing the Giants