You're going to get twice as many replies as there are people lurking on
this list, Lee. :-)  In the end, the decision is yours but you can base
it on experience of others.  Mine:

I have a KX1, K2/10, and K3/KPA500/P3.  I built my K2, S/N 4398, perhaps
5 or 6 years ago, with the ATU.  I bought the KPA100 and KAT100 from a
3rd party and used the rig as my home station for about a year.  It
served me very well.  I have two hams within 3 km of me, both QRO.  With
my TS-850, I could not operate on the same band as them [regardless of
mode], the IMD generated inside my receiver made it impossible.  With
the K2, I could get within 3-4 KHz of them before hearing their key
clicks.  The K2 was fun to build, easy to operate, and a really good
receiver.  I subsequently added the SSB module [never used], and the
KAF2 audio filter which I use occasionally.

I swapped the Hi and Lo power tops when I wanted to take it into the
field.  After I got my K3, the QRP top stayed on and I finally sold the
KPA100 and KAT100.  Now, I use it in field events and for activating
summits in SOTA.  It is basically better than any radio I've ever owned
except the K3.

I assembled my K3, S/N 642, several years ago.  It has the KAT3, 100W
amp, and I have since added the DVK which I barely use, and I don't have
the second receiver.  Other than that, it is basically stock.  I haven't
added any filters beyond the two that came with it.  I subsequently got
the KPA500 and just recently the P3.

The K3 is a better home station radio than the K2, for a number of
reasons, but the K2 served me well in that capacity too.  The receiver
is better [mainly the IF DSP, although the K2 xtal filter is very good],
I can get within 1 KHz of my two QRO comrades on CW, and it is very easy
to use.  It is also much more costly than the K2.

Given your situation [we too were a single income family with 4 kids],
I'd opt for a K2 kit.  I'd definitely get the KAT2.  I'd skip the other
accessories to start with, get on CW with 10W and have a blast.  There
are a large number of QRP contests and events that you will really
enjoy.  You can also take it to the field very easily.

If you decide to build a K2, inventory the entire kit FIRST!  Separate
the parts into little containers.  Not only will it assure you aren't
missing anything, it will also familiarize you with all the parts.  I
spent probably 50-60 hours, I work slowly.  Don't build when you're
tired or have had a glass of wine with dinner. :-)

Hope this helps,

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2012 Cal QSO Party 6-7 Oct 2012
- www.cqp.org