LyLe wrote up a short tutorial on the NR a while back so you might
search for that or maybe he put it on the Elecraft website.  What I
learned from it was the NR works to suppress uncorrelated noise and when
it detects a signal it "builds a filter around" it and lets it pass.  So
I did some experimenting and found that with the CW bandpass set at
about 1 KHz the NR is very effective against background noise or even
static crashes. if you narrow the bandpass down to 200 Hz or so the NR
is less effective since in a narrow band the noise is more correlated.
This can be easily seen using the Spectrogram software.

One of my favorite tricks for copying noise level QRP signals in a QRM
free situation is to set the NR to MF5-2 or MF5-3 and DSP bandwidth to
1KHz.  Tune in the signal you couldn't hear before and then punch on the
APF.  All of a sudden you have a 20 dB SNR where there wasn't a signal.
Spectrogram helps set this up and see what's going on.

Hope this helps ...

73,
Brian, K0DTJ