> Mountain Lion will not run on machines that have a 32-bit EFI (bios).
> It has nothing to do with the processor type. My going on 5 year old
> Core 2 Duo Mac Book Pro runs just fine with 10.8. My 2007 Quad Core
> Mac Pro does not, because it has a 32-bit (rather than 64-bit) EFI.
> Time passes, technology changes. You might be able to load Windows 8
> on some ancient machine, but getting it to run in any useful way is a
> completely different issue. And realistically, most computer systems
> are getting pretty ancient at the 5 year mark.

Windows XP was a screamer on a 2 GHz Core 2 Duo, Vista was a hotrod
on that processor, Windows 7 is the most stable operating system ever
on that platform ... all on a four year old Mac Mini that Apple will
not support with Mountain Lion.  Even the Windows 8 preview runs just
fine on another system with similar processor/RAM although it could
probably benefit from another couple GB of RAM.

I certainly do not consider those systems "ancient" by any means *but*
it means that I will not be running OS-X on anything for a long time.
I will probably wipe the Apple operating systems from the Mac Minis
in the house and convert them to Windows 7 or Windows 8 and enjoy the
far greater choice of amateur software as well.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV